Search This Blog

Saturday 12 January 2013

Echo


Welcome!
flowering eucalypt
My family and I are about to head off for a visit to Cambodia, and one of my concerns is how we’ll manage the humid heat. Adelaide enjoys generally low humidity, which is why so many of our homes use evaporative cooling instead of air-conditioning. This also satisfies the Aussie predilection for bringing the outside inside, since evap cooling requires windows/doors to be open. Fortunately (?) our evap cooling hasn’t been working reliably in the last couple of weeks, so we’ve been acclimatising to heat discomfort, the perfect preparation for our South East Asian jaunt!

Today marks the first half year of this blog, and ushers in a couple of changes. I’ll be posting half as often (i.e. fortnightly) from now on (I can’t write fast enough to do it justice weekly), and the mix of prose and poetry will be less predictable.

My offering today is a recently written free verse poem.  Whether you like it, hate it, or just don’t get it, why not leave a comment and share your thoughts with other readers?

Echo

I know what it is to be a ghost
 as insubstantial as a mist
where others look through to someone beyond you
and the only presence you have is as
a memory
an echo
 forgotten as soon as it is heard
overtaken by someone more solidly present,
louder, more demanding.

I stand, a shadow in a deserted temple,
where nothing moves but the wind
in the dry leaves gusting
here
             there
    grouped momentarily
and then scattered.

All is gone but the shadow
the memory
the echo
  fading
     into silence.


Until we meet again...
Claire Belberg








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble posting a comment, please email me. Your comments are really appreciated!